A delicious dairy-free recipe for homemade gluten-free spinach tortillas.
- 2 tablespoons (13g) ground flaxseed / flaxmeal
- 6 tablespoons + 1 cup cold water
- 3½ cups (5oz) fresh baby spinach leaves
- 3¼ cups (390g) Cassava Flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1¼ teaspoons fine sea salt
- ¼ cup sustainable organic palm shortening, cold
- 2 tablespoons 100% organic olive oil
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flaxmeal and 6 tablespoons cold water.
- Bring some water to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce the heat to a simmer. add the spinach, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Drain the spinach and rinse with it cold water. Squeeze the spinach to remove all of the excess water.
- Put the cooked spinach and remaining 1 cup cold water in your blender. Blend until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the shortening and oil and whisk until the mixture is sandy and the shortening pieces are as tiny as possible.
- Add the flax and spinach mixtures to the mixing bowl and stir until the spinach is well distributed.
- Divide the dough into 14 equal pieces. Lightly flour your hands and roll each piece between your palms to form a ball.
- Open a 6 ¼ -inch / 15cm tortilla press and spread one 15-inch / 38cm piece of plastic wrap over the upper and lower plates. Place a ball of dough on the lower plate, just off center toward the hinge of the press. Close the upper plate and press with the lever until the dough reaches the edge. Release the lever and gently lift the upper plate off of the tortilla, leaving the plastic wrap in contact with the tortilla. With your fingers grab the edge of the plastic wrap and lift the tortilla off the bottom plate and place it flat on a baking sheet, leaving the tortilla in the plastic wrap until ready to use. Repeat with the rest of the dough. You can stack the tortillas three high on a baking sheet, keeping them as flat as you can.
- Place the baking sheet in the freezer for at least 1 hour, or until the tortillas are stiff and you are ready to serve them.
- Heat a skillet or cast iron griddle over medium-high heat.
- Remove one tortilla from the freezer and peel off the plastic wrap. Place the tortilla in the hot skillet. Cook for 90 seconds then flip and cook the other side for 30 seconds.
- Place the cooked tortilla on a towel and cover with another towel to rest and soften while you cook the remaining tortillas.
- Serve the gluten-free spinach tortillas warm.
Enjoy this adaptation from godairyfree.com