A great fundamental recipe on which to add savoury or sweet fillings.
- 280g (1 1/4 Cup) Three Spades Cassava Flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 0.5 tsp salt (for savoury pastry) OR 1 tbsp caster sugar (for sweet pastry)
- 140g (5oz) unsalted butter, chilled
- 1 large egg
- 2-3 tbsp water
- Sift the flour, xanthan gum and salt (OR sugar for sweet) into a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Grate the chilled butter into the bowl (use the large grater setting on a cheese grater) and toss the butter strands through the flour with a spoon. Once the butter is coated with flour, use your finger tips to rub the butter into the flour until you have a coarse breadcrumb-like texture.
- Beat the egg and add to the bowl. Stir through with the spoon.
- Add 2 tbsp water (you may not need the third) and use your hands to bring the ingredients together to form a nice ball of dough. It should come away from the sides of the bowl and the dough will be smooth and pliable. If it is still a bit crumbly, add the third tbsp water and work to combine.
- Take a large piece of greaseproof paper (approx 40cm long) and place the ball of dough on the waxed, non-stick side. Press it down gently with your hands to form an oval shape a couple of cm thick. Now fold the paper over to cover the other side of the dough and then fold the edges over so that you have a nice little dough parcel. Now place into the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, the pastry is ready for use!
Adapted from mygfguide.com