This gluten free pizza is 100% the real deal. It has the perfect gluten free pizza crust, which tastes and looks and feels like pizza. There’s no strange ingredients and no complicated procedure needed.
- 2 cups (250 g) Cassava Flour
- 1/2 tbsp Xanthan gum
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup (175 g) lukewarm water
- 1/3 oz (9 g) active dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil plus more for oiling the proofing bowl
FOR A SIMPLE TOMATO SAUCE:
- 2 cups (450 g) canned tomatoes, crushed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano (or ~1/2 - 1 tsp dried oregano)
- 2 x 4 1/2 oz (2 x 125 g) balls of mozzarella, torn into smaller pieces
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- fresh basil
For gluten free pizza dough:
- In a large bowl, mix together all dry ingredients.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together all wet ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and mix until you get a very sticky dough.
- Turn the dough onto a work surface (don't flour the surface!) and use a bench scraper to work the pizza dough. I like to spread the dough onto the surface, scrape it off, and repeat this for about 2 minutes.
- Even if the dough is sticky, DO NOT add flour.
- Place the dough into a well-oiled bowl, cover with cling film and allow to proof for 2 - 3 hours. ***The dough probably won't double in volume, but it should rise slightly.
In the mean time, prepare the tomato sauce and toppings.
For simple tomato sauce:
- In a saucepan or small pot, add the crushed canned tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cook on medium heat for 15 - 20 minutes with occasional stirring, until slightly reduced (some of the liquid should have evaporated).
- Add the olive oil, chopped garlic and oregano. Cook for a further 3 - 5 minutes with occasional stirring.
- Allow to cool.
Assembling and baking the pizza:
- Pre-heat the oven to 220 ºC and sprinkle a baking sheet with a thin layer of polenta.
- The shape of the baking sheet or baking tray depends on what kind of pizza you want – the recipe above makes a 12-inch (30 cm) round pizza, but you can also make a square or rectangular pizza.
- Place the risen dough onto the baking sheet and press it into the shape of choice. The middle of the dough should be ~2-3 mm thick, with a thicker outer edge.
- Top with the cooled tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese and cherry tomatoes.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven at (220 ºC) for ~16 - 20 minutes, until the pizza base is crispy and golden brown, and the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil and enjoy!
Adapted from the Loopy Whisk.