Let get creative with these delicious, fluffy vanilla sponge cupcakes. Great for any occasion!
For the buttercream
- 150g unsalted butter softened
- 300g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and line a 12-hole cupcake tin with paper or silicone cases.
- Put the butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat with an electric whisk until light and creamy. Pour in the egg, a little at a time, mixing well after each addition. Next, beat in the vanilla paste, then fold in the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture evenly between the cases. Bake for 15-20 mins until the tops are golden and firm to the touch at the edges.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 15 mins, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Beat the butter with an electric whisk until pale and fluffy in a clean, large bowl.
- Add the icing sugar, one spoonful at a time, mixing as you do. Beat in the vanilla.
- To decorate, transfer the buttercream to a pipping bag fitted with a round or star nozzle. Pipe generous swirls on top of each cupcake. Sprinkle with your topping of choice!