PALEO PUMPKIN PIE WITH CASSAVA FLOUR
This Paleo Pumpkin Pie is creamy and delicious with a perfectly golden and flaky crust. It's gluten-free, dairy-free and refined sugar-free. This recipe makes one pumpkin pie, but feel free to double the ingredients and make two, you'll be glad you did!
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup cassava flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 5 tbsp cold butter, or organic palm shortening for dairy-free
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp cold water
PUMPKIN PIE FILLING
- 425g organic pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
1. To make the crust, stir together the flours and salt in a mixing bowl. Cut in the butter or shortening using a pastry cutter or your fingers until you have a crumbly mixture.
2. Add the egg and one tablespoon of water and using your hands, knead the ingredients together until a ball of dough forms. If the mixture is too dry and crumbly, add the second tablespoon of water (I used two for my recipe).
3. Wrap the ball of dough with plastic wrap or parchment paper and place in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
4.Preheat your oven to 175 Degrees Celsius.
5. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll it out between two pieces of parchment paper or use your fingers to push the dough into a 9-inch pie pan. Use a fork to piece a few holes in the bottom of the dough.
6. Pre-cook the crust for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
7. In a large mixing bowl combine all the pumpkin pie filling ingredients. Using a hand mixer on medium speed, blend all ingredients together for one minute.
8. Pour the filling mixture into the pre-cooked pie crust and place back in the oven for 50-60 minutes. To keep a lighter crust edge, place a pie crust shield over your pie halfway through. When a toothpick comes out clean one inch from the edge, your pie is done.
9. Remove the pie from the oven, cool at room temperature for 30 minutes, then refrigerate for 2 hours to firm up.