These carrot cake cookies are crisp on the outside and fluffy i n the middle, with each bite delivering a delightfully familiar carrot cake spice, crunchy walnuts and juicy raisins. Plus, who could forget that sweet drizzle of cream cheese frosting?
- 125g butter, softened
- 150g light brown sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 150g Three Spades Cassava Flour
- 150g gluten-free oats
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 150g coarsely grated carrots (about 2 medium carrots)
- 50g raisins
- 50g walnuts, chopped
FOR THE DRIZZLE
- 115g soft cheese (low-fat soft cheese can be used for this)
- 60g icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
Step by step
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, then mix in the egg. Next add the flour, oats, bicarbonate of soda and mixed spice. Mix until fully combined.
- Mix in the grated carrot followed by the raisins and chopped walnuts. Ensure everything is fully combined
- Divide into 12 portions (about 70g each) and chill on a tray in the freezer for 30-45 minutes to firm up, or 2 hours in the fridge (it can be chilled for up to 24 hours).
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas 6 and line 2 baking trays. Shape the portions of cookie dough into balls and flatten slightly. Space them out on the trays to allow for spreading as the cookies bake.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until a deep brown crust has formed, rotating and swapping the trays halfway through. You can also cook them in an air fryer (in batches) at 180°C for about 14 minutes. Leave to cool for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the drizzle, briefly beat the soft cheese before mixing in the icing sugar and vanilla. Either place in a piping bag and pipe over the cooled cookies or drizzle using a teaspoon. Leave to set before serving.