Delicious soft sponge, light and fluffy butter cream icing and cute, easy decorations. A must try this Easter.
Chocolate Sponge Cake
- 200 g dark chocolate good quality (dairy free if required)
- 200 g unsalted butter cubed (or DF block alternative)
- 130 ml strong fresh-brewed coffee
- 185 g Three Spades Cassava gluten free flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1½ tsp baking powder gluten free
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 200 g soft light brown sugar
- 160 g golden caster sugar 30 g cocoa powder
- 120 ml milk dairy free if needed
- ¾ tsp white wine vinegar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 220 g unsalted butter softened
- 440 g icing sugar 3 tsp vanilla extract 1 to 2 tbsp almond/rice milk
- Mini Eggs I used one and a bit 360g bags sprinkles
Chocolate sponge cake
- Base-line two round 20 cm round baking tins with baking paper.
- Pre-heat the oven to 170 C.
- In a medium glass bowl, break the chocolate into pieces and add the butter and coffee.
- Melt together either over a saucepan of simmering water or in a microwave at medium heat on 30 second bursts, stirring frequently, until fully blended. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the cassava flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt, sugars and cocoa powder, making sure any lumps are completely broken down. (Alternatively, weigh into an airtight container and shake vigorously)
- In a small cup or jug, mix the milk with the vinegar and leave to stand for a few minutes.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl until thickened and pale in colour.
- Add the vanilla extract, melted chocolate and milk-vinegar mix and continue to whisk until smooth and fully combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and fold gently until fully amalgamated. Do not over-mix.
- Pour the batter into the cake tins, ensuring an even distribution.
- Bake for 50 minutes to an hour in the middle of the oven, until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tins for about 15 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Vanilla butter icing (frosting)
- To make the vanilla butter icing, beat the butter until smooth and light.
- Gradually add the icing sugar and vanilla extract a little at a time and beat until you have a smooth icing with a good spreading consistency. Add a little milk to loosen as necessary.
- Sandwich the cakes together with butter icing and then use the rest of the icing to cover the cake completely (using a flat or palette knife), smoothing as you wish and spreading a thicker layer on the top.
- Decorate with mini eggs (or decoration of choice) and sprinkles.
Adapted from Gluten Free Alchemist xx