Coconut and Cassava Flour Mixed Berry Slice
This delicious slice looks so good you'd think it was from a fancy bakery, but the truth is it's super simple to make yourself at home. And with chia seeds and berries, we think it's a pretty healthy treat - try it out!
This is another recipe from Thea Doyle!
- 1 ½ cups natural almond meal
- ½ cup of Three Spades cassava flour
- 1 cup fine coconut
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
Mixed Berry Jam
- 300g frozen mixed berries
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 lemon, rind only
- 1 tablespoons maple syrup (optional, but adds extra sweetness)
- ⅓ cup of the base mixture
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a lamington or square tin with baking paper.
- In a saucepan, add the frozen mixed berries, chia seeds and lemon rind and simmer on low to medium heat for approx. 10 minutes until the berries get a jam-like consistency. Use a fork to help break down the berries while they are cooking.
- Combine all dry ingredients for the base in a bowl and mix to combined. Add in the wet ingredients into the dry and mix again until a dough like substance is formed.
- Reserve about ⅓ cup of the base mixture and set aside (this is for the crumble topping) and press the remaining mixture into the base of the lined tin and place in the oven to cook for approx. 15 minutes until it begins to turn golden brown.
- To make the crumble, place the ⅓ cup reserved base mixed into a bowl with the shredded coconut and crumble with your fingers.
- Once cooked, allow the base to cool slightly, then spread the berry jam followed by the crumble over the top, press down slightly to secure the crumble. Place back into the oven and cook for 12 minutes until the crumble on top is golden in colour.
Allow to cool fully before slicing. For best results, place in the fridge to set.