These ghostly brownies make for a fabulous addition to any Halloween dessert table. Just prepare for a ton of oohs and aahs!
For the Brownies:
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons Three Spades Cassava Flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 9 tbsp. (1 stick plus 1 tablespoon) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 tsp. unflavored gelatin (part of 1 envelope)
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- Store-bought black piping frosting
Make the Brownies:
- Step 1: Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 23 x 33-cm pan with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on the 2 long sides. Grease paper.
- Step 2: Whisk together three spades flour, pie spice, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Melt chocolate chips, butter, and cocoa in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until smooth, 2 to 3 minutes. Whisk together sugar, pumpkin puree, eggs, and vanilla in a separate bowl. Add butter mixture to sugar mixture and stir to combine. Add flour mixture and stir to combine. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Step 3: Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, 20 to 22 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely in pan. Run a knife along the two short sides of the pan and lift brownies from pan using parchment. Remove parchment and transfer brownies to a serving platter.
Make the Marshmallow Ghosts:
- Step 1: Sprinkle gelatin over 1/4 cup cold water in a bowl to soften.
- Step 2: Combine sugar and 1/4 cup water in a small saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved, 1 to 2 minutes. When water comes to a boil, stop stirring, and wash down sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush to remove any undissolved sugar and prevent crystals from forming. Boil until the temperature reaches 115°C on a candy thermometer, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Step 3: Add sugar mixture to gelatin. Whisk with an electric mixer on medium speed for 3 minutes. Increase speed to high and whisk until soft peaks form, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer marshmallow to a heavy-duty zip-top bag with a small hole cut in one corner (or a piping bag fitted with a #12 plain tip).
- Step 4: Immediately pipe ghost shapes on brownies. Let dry 1 hour. Pipe black frosting eyes and mouths. Brownies can be stored in an airtight container for 1 day.
Adapted from countryliving.com